[Coco] CGP-220 Repair?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 9 08:22:36 EDT 2004

Andrew wrote:
> All,
>
> I have an old CGP-220 printer, with both a black and a color ink
> cartridge. Now, this printer hasn't been used in years. The ink has to
> be completely dried out, and who knows about the rest of the system. I
> have yet to run any real tests with it.
>
> Can anybody tell me if such a thing can be repaired to get it to work
> again. I am pretty sure it will work (though I might need to do some
> roller softening or something) - but, what about the dried ink? How do I
> clean this (and the print head)?
>
> Then - how can I refill the cartridges? Something tells me this might be
> possible, with a lot of effort and cussing, likely. I fully expect to
> have to take the unit apart (as well as the cartridges).
>
> Is this a pipe dream? Am I crazy for thinking such a thing? Should I
> just retire it (well, it is already technically "retired"), or should I
> try to restore it?
>
> Comments, ideas, suggestions?
>
> Andrew Ayers

I don't have specific info on the GP-220 but some suggestions on
approaches. First, look very closely at the internals of the printer.
Tandy probably took some other companies printer and had the Tandy name
placed on it. Find the actual company that made the printer, and you may
be able to get help or information on repairs.

Printer ink should be soluble either in water or rubbing alcohol. So
these material should work for cleaning the printer without causing
damage. Whether the printer will ever work again may depend on whether
the ink jets are part of the cartridge or separate units.

Modern heads on HP inkjets which are part of the cartridge generally
won't work again once they are clogged with dried up ink. Soaking these
cartridges in special cleaning solution does not help. If the GP-220 has
a similar system, refilling the cartridges won't help. If the jets and
cartridges are separate units, then cleaning and refilling the
cartridges may be a long and messy job but it will be possible. If the
jets can be removed from the printer, new ones can't be found, and the
jets won't clean after a simple soaking, you will need to go as far as a
sonic bath with more aggressive solvents.

Once the jets and cartridges are clean, getting new ink should be
trivial. Many places sell refill kits which handle a large number of
inkjet printers. The trick will be to find ink of the correct
consistency for the jets on the GP-220.