[Coco] Re: Re: philosphical ... discussions

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 14:02:08 EDT 2004

> Ports of the old programs to take advantage of the better coco hardware
> today would be excellent.
> I'm in the same boat, above my capability. (for now)

AMEN to that!! I've played some AWESOME CoCo3 games lately, such as
GoldRunner2000(fricken amazing!!), Gate Crasher (all of Nick's games!), etc...
so we all know there is room for improvement on many old classics. The tricky
part is not to take anything away from the enjoyablility of old classics. Maybe
pick a game and take a poll of what players liked/disliked about the
original... maybe we need an online database with user comments for each game.
A Game Reviews section in tht CoCo3 Forums sounds might be good.

> Tonight I started laying out a map for a graphical adventure, and will hand
> draw the art in a drawing program I made myself a long time ago. You can see
> examples of it in my game Dragon Castles, on my web page. All I can do is
> basic, so thats what I'll do! :-)

Hey Charlie,
since you're using Basic, would you be interested in using a pre-built GUI
wrapper (ala Color FOG)? That would save you a little work (buiding the gui
framework) and let you concentrate on your own user-interface, which can be
anything you design. It could use as much or as little of FOG's graphics scheme
as you like. Doesn't even *have* to be CoCo3 specific, but would require some
modification.

cheers,
Bob Emery