[Coco] Important Announcement: NitrOS-9 & 1986 GIME

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 5 22:30:36 EDT 2004

Mostly I agree with you. However, the baseline system for testing should
be the stock 128K Coco3 with either '86 or '87 GIME. Based on all of the
published letters to various Coco magazines, there were problems with
the '86 GIME on 128K machines.

I doubt very much that Tandy would have made a recall even if they knew
of bad problems unless it was a safety issue. What you needed to look
for were bulletins sent to the service centers. In fact there was a very
good example of this for the Coco1. Many units produced random screen
garbage after being on for 30 minutes. Tandy never issued a recall but
did have a kit to install when a customer complained. In this case, the
fix was a pulse shaper for the horizontal pulse which was not thermally
stable and messed up memory refresh. Sounds like the GIME problem, does
it not.