[Coco] Floppy drive

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 20:18:46 EDT 2004

--- Diego Barizo <diegoba at adinet.com.uy> wrote:

> Robert Emery wrote:
>
> >Diego, what kinds of cables are you testing with?
> >You say one drive works in the PC, have you tried the rest?
> >

> No, those are CoCo original drives (180 Kb?) no support on the PC for
> those, right?

That's per side... a double-sided coco drive would be the same as
a 360K 5-1/4" drive.

> >If you have a standard PC floppy cable (the old style with
> >edge and pin connectors) and a 1.4meg 3.5" drive, you can
> >try the following:
> >- Use the FD502 drive bay for power...
> >- Plug the PC floppy cable...
> >
> >Now, if nothing else, DIR1 (not 0) should make the
> >drive light up and spin. (MOST, but not all, 3.5"
> >floppy drives will already be jumpered as D1.
> >

> Perfect so far....

Good, and the light only came on *after* DIR, right?

> >Cover the HD hole in a 3.5" disk and try a format...
> >DSKINI1. This should tell you if the controller
> >is good or not at least.
> >

> IO ERROR as soon as DSKINI1 :(
> >
> Do I have to assume that both controllers are bad then?

I don't know... the controller *seems* to be doing it's job,
controlling the drive. Did the format even start?
Normally BASIC formats all 35 tracks and then goes back
to check them before reporting an error. Is that what
happened? Can you find a real 720K disk to try?

Speaking of the disk... did you tape the HD hole, and
if so, top or bottom? The switch is usually on the *bottom*.

Hang in there Diego, you'll get it!

Bob