[Coco] Floppy drive

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 16:10:12 EDT 2004

Diego, what kinds of cables are you testing with?
You say one drive works in the PC, have you tried the rest?

If you have a standard PC floppy cable (the old style with
edge and pin connectors) and a 1.4meg 3.5" drive, you can
try the following:
- Use the FD502 drive bay for power, it should have a
plug that fits on the 3.5" drive, red wire to the outside,
yellow wire towards the center. It's not the exact
same plug, but it fits. :-)
- Plug the PC floppy cable edge connector into the
controller and the pin connector at the far end
into the floppy drive (watch Pin1).
DON'T use the edge connector that is after the twist
in the floppy cable, use the UN-twisted section only.

Now, if nothing else, DIR1 (not 0) should make the
drive light up and spin. (MOST, but not all, 3.5"
floppy drives will already be jumpered as D1.

Cover the HD hole in a 3.5" disk and try a format...
DSKINI1. This should tell you if the controller
is good or not at least.

Good luck,
Bob Emery