[Coco] Nitros9 and the 86 GIME again

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 5 09:35:14 EDT 2004

Charlie wrote:
> This is strange. Let me explain.
>
> Someone was kind enough to give me a replacement Performance Peripherals
> 512K upgrade. Unlike my old one, this one had all the same type chips on it.
> :-) (Thanks!) So, I put this new upgrade in my 86 GIME, USA made CoCo3,
> replacing the stock 128K that was in that computer.
>
> I now have no troubles at all booting Nitros9 on this coco with an 86 GIME.
> This is the same computer that would crash consistently trying to boot
> Nitros9. All I did was change the memory. I've booted Nitros9 at least 50
> times trying to see if it would crash and it just wont. 80, 40, or 32 column
> boot screens, all work fine now.
>
> I'd like try moving the memory and 86 GIME over to my backup Korean made
> coco3 and see if I have the same results. However, now that my coco is
> working so well I'm reluctant to keep handling the hardware. :-)
>
> Charlie

This may indicate that the '86 GIME has memory refresh problems in
certain modes. The stability of 512K upgrades could then be a critical
factor.

If an alteration of the add on memory boards is a critical factor, that
needs to be identified. However, in the meantime most users with this
problem should stick to a 32 col screen during the boot.