[Coco] Re: LCD for CoCo

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Oct 23 16:49:56 EDT 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:28:19 -0000
> From: "tomustoys" <tomustoys at sisna.com>
> Subject: [Coco] [Color Computer] LCD for CoCo
>
> Hello Group,
>
> I'm looking for any info on adding an LCD to my
> CoCo to create a dashboard gauge for the EV I'm building.

What kind of CoCo are you using? With a CoCo 3, it would be a cinch - a
CoCo 2 (or earlier) would be trickier.

How are you planning on powering the CoCo? Will you be going through an
inverter, or direct power to the motherboard? The latter would be better
(no sense wasting energy in the power conversion) - but you might want
some heavier filtering on the power input to prevent voltage spikes from
getting to the board.

Finally, I must ask why you chose a CoCo over something like a PIC Basic
Stamp? Getting a Stamp to drive a composite video input is fairly easy
(by having the Stamp output NTSC waveforms) - there have been people to
create PONG this way. Or, output the data to a serial graphics LCD. The
reason why I bring this up is two-fold: First, the CoCo wasn't ever
meant to be installed as part of an automotive (even EV) system - how
long it would last in such a system is up to debate (though I know it
can be done - someone, don't remember who - had a Knight Rider style
front display on his truck driven by a CoCo). Secondly, if it died, what
then? If you have a steady supply of CoCo's, this might not be an issue
(though I think I would rather see that supply wind up as parts for
collectors/users of the CoCo). Whereas with a microcontroller solution,
especially PIC-based - you are certain that these parts are likely to be
in production for many more years, plus these parts are smaller, consume
less electricity, have non-volatile EEPROM memories for the code, etc.
Inputs and outputs are very easy to interface to, and the Stamp can be
easily programmed in a dialect of BASIC, using freeware (and I think
open-source) compilers. Even using assembler on a PIC isn't that difficult.

Just something to think about - it might be cheaper and easier to go
this route, rather than hacking apart a CoCo (which aren't being made
anymore) to do the same job, while taking up considerably more space and
electricity (and when you are building an EV, efficiency is the name of
the game).

Andrew Ayers