[Coco] CER-COMP software

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 20:01:36 EDT 2004

All,

I have been playing a little bit with my Cer-Comp software (mainly
Window Master and CBASIC III for the CoCo 3). I have been trying to get
it to run on David Keil's CoCo 3 emulator, one of the 128K versions (for
some reason, the 512K version I have is rebooting my machine).

Anyhow - CBASIC III and Window Master each come on a floppy. In the
manual, it states to back up the software (using BACKUP), but only use
the original to load and run the software (interestingly, the CBASIC
manual mentions that if the original floppy is damaged, CER-COMP will
replace it, while the Window Master manual doesn't say anything about this).

Trying to use the backup (of either) on my real CoCo 3 results in errors
(though Window Master seems to load much further than CBASIC). Loading
the original works fine.

Using RETRIEVE to make a DSK image of either original floppy results in
problems - the CBASIC software causes a reboot of the emulator, while
the Window Master software loads up partially, then hitting ESC (to
BREAK) drops you to the "console" of WM, but you can't type anything
(like it is "frozen") - interestingly, this is what happens on a real
CoCo 3 with the WM backup (if you try running it).

This is telling me "copy protection" - in a prior email I asked about
these programs, where CER-COMP and Bill Vergona was, and the stance on
whether CER-COMP software can be distributed as "abandonware" to the
community (basically, does it have his blessing, or does he care).
However, if the program won't even load in an emulator...

Thoughts?

Andrew Ayers