[Coco] OT: Help with Windows 98 drivers?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 17:30:47 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/29/04 5:22:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimcox at miba51.com writes:

I'm  wondering if a 56X CD-ROM is too fast for a 500MHz
Windows 98 box.   The Phillips CDRW works great and it's
something like  8x4x32.

Your "burning" software should allow you to set the recording speed to
whatever you like.  You should be able to use the 56X CD-ROM drive if you  tell the
program to burn it at 8X or less.  Also, a decent burning program  should
have a "test" mode where it pretends to burn the disc, to see if it can  keep up
with the data rate and not run dry in the buffer.  You can use that  to find
out just how fast you can run, then not have to repeat the test on  subsequent
discs (maybe).

FWIW, I suspect that 56X is that drive's reading rate, not burning.   Unless
it's a DVD burner.
--Mike K.