[Coco] Re: atari USB device

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Nov 26 15:05:34 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:38, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Mark
>
> The main problem in making any USB cartridge backward compatible with the Coco
> 1 and  Coco 2 is that Color Basic and Extended Color Basic set in ROM and that
> precludes any simple ram patch of the ROM code impossible. The Coco 3 copies all
> those ROMS into ram and can be patched rather easy.
>
> What has to be done is the cartridge would have to have the Color Basic and/or
> Extended Color Basic ROM modified and stored and decoded at address $A000 to
> $BFFF and/or $8000 to $9FFF along with the USB software at $C000. First
> estimates is that the KEYIN subroutine is all that is needed to be patched. In fact
> Color Basic 1.2 is easier to patch than Color Basic 1.0.  The KEYIN subroutine is
> where the computer looks at the PIA port and gets the value from it.
>
> It is not impossible but by far can be a bit more complex than that  of the Atari
> versin and more hardware. Definitely more cost.

Yep, more cost. No reason to complicate this simple hardware device by
adding built-in storage, at least on the first iteration. It's just a
bus.

OS-9 will work fine if we simply write appropriate drivers, loaded at
boot.

The Coco 3 under BASIC or DOS can be patched at runtime.

Those that take 0-time-to-boot seriously will come up with something
completely in ROM as an internal upgrade, or something on another
multi-pak slot.

The simplest ROM improvement for use with this USB controller would just
go look for an attached USB storage device with a special file on it and
use as a patch or ROM image to boot the machine. Assuming USB Storage
will work with it, which I don't have any hard reason to believe that it
won't.

-- John.