[Coco] Re: atari USB device

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Wed Nov 24 08:58:26 EST 2004

At 11/23/2004 05:39 PM -0800, you wrote:

USB keyboard. Remember that what ever is developed should be backwards
compatible with the existing software. NitrOS-9 is not such a big deal but
RSDOS is where the problem lies. The new USB driver would have to be in
ROM/FLASH at power up and patch in not and not to step on anything else.
Then get the USB stream from the keyboard via the hardware device, whatever
that maybe and then emulate the software call that originally was in the
CoCo. POLCAT, peeks of the keyboard port, etc...If not, you will find that
your keyboard won't work with certain programs after you have the CoCo
booted up and you are able to type from the command line via the USB.
Double edge sword here. That is why the hardware solution into the keyboard
port was the choice at Cloud-9. It can be done, just a few layers to sort
out, the joy of the beast. :)

We have remapped the definition of the keyboard port under NitrOS-9 to
accept keycodes just like a PC does. This was a test case for the PS2 type
keyboards and our PS2 keyboard interface on the SuperBoard. This way each
window could set caps, num, etc. for each one. That was awhile ago and
Boisy did this case test into an Atmel AVR. Those things are a blast!!!!

My $0.02 :)

Mark
Cloud-9