[Coco] atari USB device

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Nov 18 10:06:50 EST 2004

David

When you get two or more peripheral devices on the bus you
almost are destined to use handskaing and TDM techniques. The
USB protocol has provision for handling low bandwidth devices and
high bandwidth devices. When you get several large bandwidth
devices on the bus at slow speed then the "effective" data transfer
rate is far slower than that published. The problem with the Coco is
that there is a point where a fixed number of low bandwidth devices
will bog down the Coco due to the main processor constantly polling
the peripherals querrying them if they have something to send.

I personally think that around three or four peripheral device will be
the limit. After that some external processor will be needed and a
large ram buffer,  8K comes to a nice usable figure.

james