[Coco] atari USB device

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Nov 15 18:18:50 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 14:43, Ken Carlin wrote:
> I know that this isn't strictly CoCo related, but it does involve another 8 bit computer:
>
> http://www.atarimax.com/usbcart/documentation/
>
> It's a USB interface for the Atari 8 bit computers.  Of course that makes me wonder if it's adaptable in any way for the CoCo.

Wow, great find!

There's no reason this design couldn't be adapted to Coco.

Note that the site of more direct interest is :

http://microusb.org/

This actually makes the 8-bit micro the host, and you can connect mice,
keyboards and joysticks through it. There are no drivers for VFAT, so
you can't hook USB keys to it (yet?), but given what is stated in the
FAQ, it is just a memory issue. That would imply there is no reason a
Coco 3 couldn't integrate a VFAT driver since we have more RAM than the
typical 8-bit micro. Also, it would make an easy way to hook up a RS232
port.

I would guess that USB ethernet and wifi is out of the question due to
not being able to keep up, but who knows

There's already support for Atari 8-bits, Atari ST, C-64, Apple...

-- John.