[Coco] Re: GANTELET II ?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 23:14:35 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/4/04 9:57:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
smostrom at mn.rr.com writes:

> I've started to add to the games and magazine sections.  But this
>  provokes a question.  If person X is adding items to a section, then
>  person Y tries to add items to the same section before person X is
>  finished, what happens?

This is a classic problem in multi-programmer software projects, and greater
minds than ours have flogged it for years.

> Hopefully the site will only allow one person
>  to edit a section while closing off the editing to everyone else.

And this is the classic solution -- only one programmer at a time is allowed
to "check out" a given unit of code (subroutine, function) and work on it at a
time.  There are fancy commercial systems to enforce this discipline on the
source code libraries.

There's still no way to keep Programmer Joe from making a change to Function
A that makes it incompatible with what Programmer Mary is doing to function B
at the same time, but that shouldn't be a problem with Wiki pages.

>  Does  anyone know, or will it blow-up?

Experiment -- that's why it's called "Computer Science" ^-)  --Mike K.