[Coco] Converting CoCo 2 and CoCo 3 to Component video?

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Nov 2 18:06:14 EST 2004

At 03:07 PM 11/2/2004, you wrote:
>John
>
>Essentially that is correct. The drawback is that the MC6847 has
>only has 2 bit DACs internally for the R-Y and B-Y signals and Y
>level is 3 bits.
>
>The thing is Component video is essentialy the modulation signal
>for the RF carrier like channel 3 or 4. COmponent video is not some
>new fangled system. All component video is are the Luminance and
>Chroma signal that would go to an RF modulator are brought out
>the back of the unit and distributed.
>
>Converting a Coco1 or 2 to component video would gain no
>additional color but may gain a better qulaity picture. At least there
>is no RF to demodulate and all that.

I've got the pinouts and specs for the CoCo 1 6847.  I've seen some
composite to VGA converters for under $100 so now I'm really tempted to
install such a board inside the CoCo and mount my own VGA port on the back
of the case.  There's lots of room.  I think a mod like this would be
worthy, especially if the CoCo is just sitting around going unused
anyway.  An old gray-case CoCo 1 screams of a flat-panel LCD monitor
sitting on top, and the SuperIDE pack loaded down with useful software.

--
Roger Taylor