[Coco] C cross-compiler for Portal-9

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Nov 19 23:30:01 EST 2004

I'll be experimenting in the days to come with the Dunfield
Micro-IDE/Micro-C development package to see if Portal-9 can use those
tools.  The Micro-IDE isn't all that pretty, in my opinion, and doesn't
specifically target the CoCo or Vectrex like Portal-9 does, but it is
fairly decent.  What I want to do is borrow the tools that his own IDE
uses.  :)

 From what I can tell, the .asm output of the Micro-C compiler is very
simple and somethind that my own CCASM assembler can probably assemble
as-is, with the exception of the $EX directive which looks like the library
inclusion function.  Speaking of the Micro-C library... it looks like a
directory full of .asm files which are included directly into the source
code by using the function.(asm) as the name.  I still haven't gotten to
mess around with the Micro-C linker.

The Micro-C package and parts are not free (actually, they are but you are
limited to 500 source lines), so to use them with Portal-9 we'll have to
download and install Micro-C/IDE and then tell Portal-9 where that
directory is.  On my system, it installed to C:\bipom\devtools.  It will be
fairly easy to set up future versions of Portal-9 to some defaults which
should cut down on a lot of configuration needs to use those tools.

This is all I know to do right now to give Portal-9 the power to compile C
source code straight to a ROM image or virtual floppy disk for the CoCo,
and to pull off a "What you C is what you get" environment, since M.E.S.S.
can launch and run your software after you click Build and everything is
compiled.  :)

Until I find a free 6809 C compiler/linker/asm set, the Micro-C package
will have to do.  Do a search for something like "Dunfield Micro C" and you
should be able to find a download to check this out.

--
Roger Taylor