[Coco] OT: electronics question

David Gacke dgacke at ektarion.com
Tue May 25 22:39:18 EDT 2004

Hi James,

I know this may seem like a silly question, and no insult intended, but
are you counting the pins correctly?

They should be counted counter-clockwise when looking at the top of the
chip. Pin 1 should have a dot printed, or a dimple in the chip case just
above it. Also other common pin 1 markings are a notch in the side of
the chip where pin 1 is.

The problem could also be the torch.  :)

In either case, you can get 7400 series logic chips dirt cheap.
BGMicro.com is a nice place to buy onesies or them. I looked up the
price, it's 22 cents for a LS version of that '02.  I'm not sure about
you, but unless you're in REALLY dire need, I might be tempted just to
order another one.

Anyway, if you really want to remove them, and have a fairly heft
soldering iron, actually apply more solder to the bottom of the part.
It'll give you better heat transfer. This may allow it to melt all the
way thru so that it can be removed with a solder sucker.

If you can't get all the solder out, reapply some and then with a dental
pick, or really small screwdriver, start prying gently under it till you
can get it to start to tip. You'll need to heat several pins at a time
to get it to start to loosen and flex.

Good luck with it!

Dave