[Coco] Possible remedy for old yellow

Bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 01:26:41 EDT 2004

--- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> Speaking as a chemist and knowing something about plastics, the
> yellowing is usually caused by the oxidation of the UV and anti-oxidant
> inhibitors in the top layer of the plastic exposed to air and light. If
> the whitener is a bleach (ie. oxidizer), it usually make things worse.
>
> If the yellowing was caused by deposition of dirt on the plastic, then a
> bleach or even a mild abrasive would clean things up.
>
> Your tooth paste uses peroxides as a whitening agent. They could just
> accelerate whatever damage caused yellowing in the first place.
>
> Since I don't know what happened to your cases, they may indeed clean
> up. Prudence would caution testing on small non visible portions of the
> case.

Thanks for the info Robert... somehow I missed this post before. I'm not sure
what happened to these cases either, they were all given to me pretty badly
yellowed. I'll try some tests and let you all know. I think ultimately I may
just recommend spray paint. ;-) (I've thought about a black & silver CoCo3)

Bob