[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Tue Mar 23 04:11:56 EST 2004

Hi,

Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2004, at 6:58 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>
>> Even grep will not help you when the size approaches 4.7 Gigs. Or even
>> just
>> the collections of old messages that we have archived. I am working on
>> that.
>
> Assuming that the collection is unindexed, or you are looking for
> characters which have not been indexed, grep, actually fgrep is about
> as good as it gets.  Obviously this will take a very long time and an
> indexed search would be much better.

I am looking into something that I learned about 1968. Ever hear of KWIC?

>> With that comment I believe the place to look is the Internet RFC's. I
>> have
>> not found those yet, or was it you had to pay big $$$$ to look at them?
>
> I do believe that they were at least suggested in some of the RFCs.
> Try:
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/

Thanks. I am also going to look at my CD's that are from that period. When I
got them I was only interested in new stuff and never looked at them in
detail.

But still the problem remains. What is the name for *BOLD* _Underline_
/italics/ ? "text-decoration " ?