[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 23:07:55 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/20/04 9:07:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wdg3rd at comcast.net writes:

> On a given machine, I can generally have Linux installed on bare metal
>  and running in about a quarter of the time it takes to do the same with
>  Windoze.

My one and only scratch installation of Linux was an old Slackware distro on
a 486.  It went smoothly, but could hardly be described as quick and easy.  I
had to make a boot and kernel floppy from the CD.  All I had to do was follow
the printed instructions (! ! !) that came with the CDs (duplicated in a
ReadMe file, IIRC).

However -- it needs to be pointed out that some Linux distros refuse to
install on some hardware.  I couldn't install RH 7.0 on my main PC here -- the
early phase of the process just hangs and quits, with no explanation.

I've been told by several that this is because "Linux really uses your
hardware, pushes it to the limit."  There's even been some pride in these
statements, that the OS is so good that it takes really solid hardware to run it.  I
think the "pushed" component is the memory management unit (similar to Coco3's
GIME).

Somehow, if United Airlines bragged that "we have a crash every week, cuz we
really push our planes to the limit", I'd fly with someone else.   OK, use
United for skydiving fun, but  another airline when I want to get there.  --Mike
K.