[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients - (Was: Listing of Magazines for Archival Project)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Mar 21 19:32:19 EST 2004

> Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>
>> --------------- Post signature poll ----------------

Report for Mozilla 1.5 with that feature enabled.

>> asterisk word asterisk produces *word* (Bold, no asterisks)

Same.

>> Underline word underline produces _word_ (Underlined, no underlines)

Same

>> forward slash word forward slash produces /word/ (italics, no slashes)

Same

>> :)   - Smiley shows.

>> ROTFL :-II :D ;o) %-(   - No translation.

>> 8-)   - Smiley wearing Sun Glasses.

>> ;( 8-O *eg*  - No translation.

>> :(   - Frown

>> LOL :-r ;-(*) - No translation.

>> Produce Graphic images for the emoticons.
>>
>> Please report what your browser shows so that those of us using these
>> undocumented features can judge if our intent is getting through.

The features are documented in Mozilla.

There is also:

:) as an alternate smiley.

:-( as an alternate frown.

:-) Smilely with right eye winking

;-p Smilely with tongue sticking out.

A google search should find many more emoticons documented.

Dave Kelly wrote:

> I got a long binary attachment to your message.

He said it was a GIF file, and that is what is appears to be.

Apparently it is so if your mail/news client supports it, you can map
some ASCII symbols for your mail/news client to display as graphics.

At this time, I do not know how to add these emoticons to the ones that
Mozilla knows.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only