[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

David dbree at duo-county.com
Thu Mar 18 07:36:48 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:36:16PM -0600, James Ross wrote:
> David wrote:
>
> >What system are you running?  Looking at your mail header the source
> >Received (unless you're using an web interface) leads me to believe
> >you're running Debian.
>
> I took a peek at the header myself.  I can see where you might have
> come to that conclusion. But it is Gmane that is using Debian.

I halfway suspected that might be the case.

> My main
> computer (i.e. the computer I use on a daily basis for working on my
> personal projects, browsing, email, news, etc
) is a P4 2.4g running
> Windows 2000 Pro. I use Forte Agent exclusively as my newsreader.
>
> > If you're operating Linux, and you would be
> >comfortable with a text-based client, mutt handles threading quite
> >nicely.  IIUC, mutt _may_ be available for windows, also.
>
> I have not taken the plunge on using Linux exclusively as my main box
> yet. I am not crazy about Windows but I still (personal opinion alert)
> consider it more "usable" than Linux. However, Windows 2000 and/or
> Windows XP are the only two Microsoft OS's I would run on a computer
> that I use.
>
> I have used and followed Linux off and on since about 1998.  I have
> installed it dozens of times with different distros.
>
> Several months ago I did an experiment where I used SuSE 8.1
> exclusively for about 6 weeks. I used KDE along with Kmail / Konqueror
> / etc
 I went back to Windows when I got frustrated with a few things
> that I just could not accept.  I'll spare the details but would post
> them here if requested :)

If you have a desire to give it another try you're welcome to email me
and I can share some of my experiences.  I know there are others on this
list who have successfully adapted Linux.

> I am impressed how far Linux has come on the desktop. And there seems
> to be community determined to make it better and better. But I still
> hold my ground that, for the time being, Linux is more suited for the
> server room than the desktop.

I guess it depends on your needs.  I don't think it's suited for the
secretary in an office.  Neither is it for the person who is totally
involved with gaming, although I've seen some pretty popular games
beginning to be ported to Linux.  It's probably not for the person who
only wants to get a computer, set it on the desk, and go, ready-to-run.

But it suits my needs perfectly.  I "grew up" on OS9/OSK .  My primary
desire is to play with the system and see how it works.  Windows is just
to drab and plain for me.