[Coco] Old radios

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Thu Mar 11 21:55:55 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <jdaggett at gate.net>

> Neil
>
> I was checking on the net and correct the #80 is a rectifier and if
> remember correctly the tube that was bad was the first IF amp tube.
> Dead filament.

It's so sad when I remember this stuff - like ECC is a double triode,
and OC71 was the first Philips transistor (audio only) and all sorts
of obsolete junk like that. But find my car keys? Good luck!

> That is one way of reforming caps. Another is to remove them and
> slowly work the voltage up across the cap while limiting the
current.

The Heath tester will do that. The old ones had a 0 to 450 volt DC
test function so you wind them up until the eye tube indicates some
leakage and then wait until it reforms and crank it up some more
until you get to the rated voltage. Then you can check the capacity.

Neil