[Coco] Anybody ever post "Quaver"?

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Thu Mar 11 08:26:10 EST 2004

At 11:56 PM 3/10/04 -0600, Steve Ostrom wrote:
>I have the original "Color Quaver" on cassette from Green
>Mountain Micro.  Just saw it in my collection yesterday as I was making
>a hard copy of my Coco inventory.  My Coco is not readily available
>right now, but I would be happy to do whatever you would like with the
>cassette, assuming it will still load.  I suppose we get back to the
>discussion about 6 months ago about how to transfer program files from a
>5.25" Coco floppy to a PC so that the files can be sent over the
>internet.  My active PC's all have 3.5" floppy drives and my Cocos all
>have 5.25" floppy drives.  What would be the best way to transfer?  Pull
>out an old mothballed PC with both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives?
>Connect the Coco to the PC via RS232 cable?  If no one else has a copy
>of "Quaver", maybe I should just snail mail mine to someone as a
>temporary loan to make the transfer quicker.

I have no answers to the disk questions... I never used one, although I did
have some controllers and drives. (I was looking for something more
self-starting, so developed the piggyback ROM for my own use with DGOS, the
Data Gatherer Operating System.)

The only published version of Quaver was on cassette. I heard that someone
transferred it to disk and had it working, but my only real interest here
is to be able to link to sample music output and the source code, and any
surviving documentation (that I do have and can scan).

If the emulators load cassettes from the audio port on the PC, I can grab
the BASIC interface and binary sound driver if my cassettes still read, but
I don't think I provided the source code on the cassette. It would become a
big & probably unsuccessful project to set up a functioning CoCo, find
EDTASM, load the source, etc. I only have the EDTASM ROM pack if it stillf
functions, so would still have to dump to cassette and try to read to PC.

As far as the emulators go, are they "raw"? Do they respect interrupt
disables, for example?  I don't really know how the disk systems worked,
but the code was not relocatable and was self-modifying, so it couldn't be
ROMmed or relocated from its entry point of $4800.

I wrote that sucker 22 years ago, and the final version (2.1) was released
in September 1983. *Now* they think it's important! Why didn't they think
that 20 years ago so I could have made some money on it?? :)

Dennis