[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: mystery chip on COCO2 XC80652P

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Wed Mar 10 17:36:28 EST 2004

At 03:06 PM 3/10/04 -0600, smostrom at mn.rr.com wrote:
>I have one of the old chest-high wooden radio consoles that
>belonged to my grandparents.  This beast had multiple radio
>bands (short wave and aviation to name two) in addition to
>the normal band, plus rows of unique styled buttons that I
>forget now what they were supposed to do - maybe tone
>type controls.  I remember about 30 years ago it used to
>turn on and we could get static, maybe even a station.  I'd
>love to try to get this working again.

I just fixed up a nice chest radio like that, a Philco 37-630. No buttons.

>if I give you a list of tubes in the chasis, can I buy replacements
>from you if you have them in stock?

Certainly. But no guarantee that I'd have any of them! Be happy to look.
I'm in the shop every Wednesday -- you missed me today, as I'm just back!

>Since I'm not an electronics wizard, all I could really do is
>just swap out the old tubes for the new tubes and see if it
>works, unless someone could guide me through some diagnostic
>checking with a volt/ohm meter.  Are there still tube checking
>machines in existance?

Haven't see one in ages, but I have a couple of bench tube testers. What
happens when you turn it on? Dare I ask?

You can take this off-list if you think it's not interesting to the rest of
the group.

Dennis