[Coco] Master List

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Sun Mar 7 00:09:15 EST 2004

At 04:04 PM 3/6/04 -0600, Steve Ostrom wrote:
>(Dennis, before we do a bunch of scanning for
>archival purposes, what is your take on the
>legality of this?  Personally I would love to see
>these magazines live on and shared.)

The list seems to break out into three categories.

The first includes those with permission or with permission easily
forthcoming. That's easy. Scan this batch first & get them archived.
(Anything from me from that era has been "copylefted", including all
published articles, as I retained copyright at the time of publication.)

The second includes those no longer in publication and/or where permission
is close to impossible to obtain. It's a give that the digital archiving of
such vanishing material is valuable. Were it me, I'd archive it along with
evidence of attempts to get permission. That's still not technically legal,
but it's bolstered by the research nature of such a project. Any objection
can be met by removing the material, in the unlikely occasionan that
happens. (Who worried about this when the first disassembly books were
published!?)

The third includes those in publication and/or where the authors or
publishers exist. For these, I'd try not only to get permission, but also
to obtain electronic copies, which the publishers might have. Nice PDFs of,
say, Byte would be more useful that ordinary scans. Set a request for
permission in motion, and leave these scans until last. I would expect that
(except in a few hardcore cases that I think we're all familiar with)
permission for nonprofit research archiving would be promptly forthcoming.

Manuals have already been scanned and archived and posted, whether that's
legal or not.

I think we just have to understand the status of each item we archive, and
not fret about the items which aren't possible to legitimize in fine detail.

Dennis