[Coco] Attachments and e-mail (was: FTP problems.)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Mar 5 10:25:12 EST 2004

In article <007c01c402bc$b8737ca0$85157586 at carleton.ca>,
"Mike Moore" <mikmoore at math.carleton.ca> writes:
> Anybody else get this warning?

It appears to be locally generated by one of your e-mail relay points.

Since the gmane e-mail munger tampered with it, I can not tell you which one.

An .ini file on a Microsoft system can contain scripts that some programs will
automatically execute, and some of names that are automatically executed are
not well documented.

It can also change the behavior of other programs.

So it appears that a mail server is set to be paranoid about it.  During some
virus outbreaks, many e-mail administrators will put in stricter temporary
restrictions on content until they can be sure that their virus scanners
can catch the latest bug.

To avoid these issues, senders can copy plain text files to have a .txt
extension before attaching them, or just paste them inline with out quoting.

There is a report on the spamcop.net web forum that one large U.K. provider
is blocking any outgoing e-mail that is forwarding another e-mail as
an attachment.

Somewhere I read a claim that there were 10 distinct virms released this week,
and that they are causing a lot of havock.

I personally have seen only 1 sucessful delivery out of 3 attempts.  So far
no broken autoresponses to them.  And does anyone have a system that will
automatically excute the contents of a .ZIP file when it is opened?

By sucessful delivery, I received the file intact, I obviously did not waste
time examining it's content.  One got through to the SAMBA-VMS list, but that
list strips all HTML and attachments that are not identified as plain text.

I also received one that had an empty file with a .zip extension.  Quality
control is obviously lacking in the production department.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only