[Coco] Re: multi-room live chat

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Jul 23 17:01:44 EDT 2004

At 12:44 AM 7/23/2004, you wrote:
>Hello Roger
>
><snip>
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
>Why not leave it open until it's abused?

I'll take that as a vote.  It will definately be easier to not code in the
verification stuff, but I'll be working on it anyway so if I need it, I can
just "flip a switch" one day.

I also had a very interesting idea that I've given enough thought to know
it would work.  The people in any room can silently choose from a drop-down
list another member that needs to be booted out.  If that one bad apple is
obvious enough that he needs to be booted out, the mutual, silent,
anonymous votes would take him out for an hour or longer.  It would appear
as if they just stopped talking, and nothing would be mentioned about his
removal.  The % of voters would have to be at least 75% of the room which
would handle the smallest case where 3 people are chatting and a spammer or
bad apple comes in and makes himself obvious.  3 votes would block him for
a while.

I think this anonymous/mutual vote-out idea is good because it keeps things
still open where you won't need a password or verification to chat.  You
just go to the chat welcome page, choose your nickname, and click a room to
enter.  That's it.  A vote-out menu would appear somewhere on the screen in
case it ever has to be used.  I don't think this could be abused because
it's a silent and mutual system.