[Coco] Nitros9 & Mess

Bill Nobel b_nobel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:35:24 EST 2004

>From: Dean Leiber <adit at 1stconnect.com>
>To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>Subject: Re: [Coco] Nitros9 & Mess
>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:07:03 -0800
>

> >My problem seems to be with copying files to the disks after format.
> >Anything I write to the drive no matter what size if it has more than 1
>side
> >all I get is error 242's
> >
> >-Bill
>
>With MacMess I have this problem if the actual file size of the 'disk' is
>smaller than what the disk should be. However once I try to write to the
>disk (242 error) the file expands, thus letting me copy on the second
>attempt. Drove me nuts since it also caused corruption as well sometimes
>in copied files.  I don't know is that's your problem tho. Also up on
>coco3.com in his download area they have 'blank disks' including the VHD.
>Maybe this might help?
>

>Dean

  My problem exists in the VHD as well as DSK.  I create the drive in mess
(which creates a empty file).  Format the drive logically with no verify
(works fine).  I can copy create and add files to the drive fine, but as
soon as OS-9 has to extend the directory entries past the default size
(which is 7 directory entries including '.' & '..') it trashes the directory
and starts giving error 242's on any write to the VHD or the DSK.  It seems
that when the actual extension happens it shifts everything by 1 sector.

  Although I havn't traced it enough to see if it is the same problem you
are having with MacMess on the file size of the VHD or DSK.

-Bill