Success! Re: [Coco] Newbie help: Barden Bubble w/ Portal-9

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Tue Jan 27 02:32:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:58:51 -0600
  Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:

>The code in Barden's book was "meant" for EDTASM, but
>it's so simple that most 6809 assemblers can handle it.
>
>Portal-9 assembles files of a project (called components)
>one-by-one by calling up CCASM automatically without your
>help.  However, there are a few things that need to be
>set for each component in order for them to be assembled.
>
>in the left panel
>
>1) an file format (multi-record, single-record, ROM,
>etc.)
>         multi-record is how EDTASM saves LOADMable
>programs
>2) an output filename (type in something like "sort.bin")
>3) a disk file type (choose binary)
>4) a disk image name
>         main menu, Project, Add Target Floppy Disk,
>(type in a name)
>
>In the left panel, make sure each .asm file reflects what
>is to be done during the build process.  In the 'virtual
>disk name' field, make sure it shows your .dsk image name
>(.dsk is assumed show this won't be shown).
>
>That's basically it.
>

>----------
>Roger Taylor

With a lot of help and patience from Roger, and good
advice form Robert, Theodore, and others, I was able to
get bubble sort to run tonight.  This is my first assmebly
program in 22 years, and the first with any reall
graphics.  My last experience was with an AIM65 in
college.  Roger was right when he said I would slap myself
when I see how easy it is.
I'm also kicking myself for getting away from the CoCo so
many years ago.  If I had stayed with it and focused on
both the hardware and software, I think things would be a
lot different.

Enough of that though, now I move on to better things.
 First off, thanks again to Roger, Robert, and the rest of
you for you help.  I have some advice for you other
newbies out there, don't be like me an just jump in, READ
THOSE DOCS!  The need for columns in assembly, and
learning the systax is very important.  Also, you got to
know the tools you are working with.

Granted it's a little simple program, but getting it to
run is a confidense booster.  Once I get the hang of
assembly then C, I want to do a lot of stuff and at the
same time, help other newbies.

Hell!  This is fun! :)

Jim