[Coco] Newbie help: Barden Bubble w/ Portal-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 26 17:37:07 EST 2004

jimcox at miba51.com wrote:

> I think I better explain how I attempted to create this program, so you
> all can better understand how I screwed up:
>
> 1) Entered code from Bardens book directly into new file on Postal-9
> (This is where I think the problem is)
>
> 2) After saving the file as bubble.asm, I followed Rogers directions
> (the problem is not her)
>
> My mistake is that I thought I could just enter the code into Portal-9
> and run it.  Do I need to use CASM?  I am not yet using EDTASM+, so I am
> not that familiar with it. I need to read through the "Color Computer
> Disk System Owners Manual & Programming Guide" and the EDTASM+ manual,
> and reread the Portal-9 Help files.

Yes indeed but that is a universal fault. :)

>Plus I need to be less impatient, it's just I am eager to learn assembly.

If you have the latest Portal-9 installed on your system, the source
code for the Sort program has ORG and EXEC statements. When you hit the
run button, Portal-9 will call CCASM, compile the source code, create a
.dsk image, and start emulation with the disk image mounted.

The sort and sort2 programs just need a LOADM"SORT":EXEC to work but
there are two "gotchas". The program must be run from a 32 col screen on
a Coco3 (WIDTH32) and the screen needs some data in it to see anything
happen.