[Coco] RETRIEVE utility...

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Jan 23 13:16:29 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Torsten Dittel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was playing around with RETRIEVE on some unreadable disks and was
> analyzing its behaviour. It looks like after a read error it isn't
> trying to seek to track 0 and position the head to the damaged track
> again. But I guess this could help with some tracking problems. I wonder
> if it's possible to execute a "Read Track" command which would read the
> whole track. A software could analyze that data and try to extract the
> logical information from that (I made that on the CoCo).
>
> Any comments?
>
> Torsten

Torsten,

I recall hearing that the Read Track command on the CoCo does not work
reliably;  I wonder if that was your experience.  I heard this in
connection with the Spit 'N Image utility for duplicating a copy-protected
CoCo disk;  according to one of the authors, I heard second-hand, the
program had to do several Read Tracks on the same track and kind of
average them to get a reliable track image.

Art