[Coco] 6809 example

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Jan 18 21:49:27 EST 2004

On Jan 18, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Robert Gault wrote:

> If you run your program from within EDTASM+, it will crash because you
> ended it with an RTS. Programs running under EDTASM+ DEBUG must end
> with SWI.

Point taken.  I haven't been using ESTASM+ a whole lot lately.  Looking
back, Barden generally had his samples go into an infinite loop so
instead of "rts" or "swi" he had "done jmp done".  It was mainly
presented as a counter argument to the claim that you would need to
have a complex output routine to do Hello, World without an OS call
would be complex.  Of course unless the routine was truly stand alone
the proper way would simply be to set things up for and perform an OS
call hardly a good example, though I have seen assembly language
instruction which starts with just such an example.