[Coco] Disassembler coming

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Dec 23 23:25:52 EST 2004

At 08:58 AM 12/23/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have created a new web site that I will be gradually placing material on.
>
>Address is userpages.umbc.edu/~jriddle1
>
>The only link working so far is the 'Copy Protection Examination' link.
>
>On this site, I will be analyzing the internal workings of all of the
>RS-DOS copy protection schemes I have at my disposal.
>
>The first article I have written analyzes the Diecom protection scheme,
>with information on how to "extract" an "unprotected" version from a DMK
>disk image.  I also included a technical write-up on the Diecom backup utility.
>
>As time allows, I will examine more schemes.

While I'm not into copy protection cracking or reverse engineering people's
work, I've had requests for a 6809/6309 disassembler, so I'll begin working
on this soon to be part of Portal-9.  ROM Paks and LOADM binary programs
will be dealt with first.

I want to make this as automated as I possibly can.  The disassembler will
attempt to "run" the code and follow the paths taken from JMPs, JSRs, and
branches, attempting to automatically separate opcodes from data.  Yes,
there will be cases where this can't be done so smoothly, so a partner file
used to manually mark these address ranges will be used to help.

The nice part is that you should be able to do a complete session in one
automatic "REBUILD" sweep:  disassemble, reassemble, send to emulator,
run.  If the program runs, it means it was disassembled correctly, or good
enough.

--
Roger Taylor