[Coco] Upgrade to Colorzap

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 23 08:35:59 EST 2004

Steve Ostrom wrote:

> Robert, does this mean it will read and copy many of the copy protected
> Coco disks?  If not, how much work would be needed to add that
> functionality, sort of like an improved Spit 'N Image program?
>
> -- Steve --

Spit 'N Image was a good idea but it will fail on many different types
of copyrighted disks, particularly recent ones. Colorzap-93 will work
with these disks but on a sector by sector basis. It therefore is not
intended as a whole disk copy utility.

I've been thinking about this problem and may write a new program or
suite of programs to copy "any" disk. There are three parts to the
problem, 1) determine the disk structure, 2) format an identical
structure on a new disk, and 3) copy all sectors from the original to
the old disk.

With many of the most recent Coco products, the tricks used to copy
protect disks prevent automatic processing even with simple schemes. One
example, is to create tracks with values that are illegal in FM or MFM
format. A second, is to have multiple sectors with the save ID number
but different data. It seems to me that having separate programs to
perform each of the above three steps, with human analysis of the
results, is the way to go.

It is fairly simple to write a Read Track program in ml. with a Basic
interface which asks for a track #, makes one or more copies, and saves
them to disk. It is then up to the user to locate the ID address marks
and determine what the structure is. While this could in theory be
automated, the Western Digital controllers used with the Coco are very
bad at performing track reads without data corruption. As a result,
patterns that can't be recognized by routines but are easily seen by
eye, are common.

Making generic format programs, is not very effective with patterns that
may change from track to track. It is much easier to modify a format
table by hand than to attempt to automate the process.