[Coco] Re: make and friends was Re: CCASM for Linux

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 01:45:42 EST 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 05:48 pm, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/14/04 7:16:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Rodney_Hamilton at GBRonline.com writes:
>
> Actually, Mike, if you wrote any makefiles, you *did* use m4.
> The  AT&T UNIX make used m4 as its macro processor, so for anyone who
> ever  wondered why the make syntax looked so strange, now you  know.
>

> Might be.  ISTR the C compile had the pre-proc built in, not a
> separate module as in OS-9.

In Xenix-68k for the Model 16, essentially version 7 with a few
Berzerkeley add-ins, cc invoked cpp.  I've never run across a (real)
Unix (and that includes Linux) C compiler that didn't.  It's only the
later "let's just dump everything into one bucket" compilers that
integrate the compiler and preprocessor into one binary, once CPUs got
faster and memory got bigger.  And those compilers mostly just do
Windows.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net    http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

"... the device every conqueror, yes every altruistic liberator should
be required to wear on his shield ... is a little girl and her kitten,
at ground zero."			Captain Sir Dominic Flandry