[Coco] DECB & OS-9 Game Released

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Wed Aug 11 20:45:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:13:47 -0400
Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Mannequin* wrote:
>
> > I do have a question that maybe you could help me on. I've been thinking
> > about how to more randomize my random numbers. At this point, I know by
> > heart the first 6 rolls of the dice under DECB. I've come up with a small
> > solution involving TIMER, but I don't think it's good enough. Basically, if
> > TIMER>1500
> > it divides it by 2 until TIMER<=1500. It then throws away the first TIMER
> > number of random numbers. Is there a better way to getting more random
> > numbers with
> >
>   The usual method is to give the RND seed a more or less random number
> with an initial RND(TIMER). It is very unlikely that the program can be
> started with TIMER returning exactly the same number.
>
> A better method is possible if you use the current date as a seed. A
> hardware clock would make that simple. If not, you can just ask the user
> to enter the date and time, combine the data in some fashion, and feed
> it to RND().

Hello Robert,

Thanks, this will help out how random the random numbers are. I've been racking
my brain trying to think of a way to randomize them, not remembering how to do
it.

In most of my creations that I will hopefully be releasing, I'm not going to
assume anything other than the user has a standard Coco 3 with 128 or 512k and a
disk drive. I may need to, in furture, also think about if the user is using a
CMP or RGB monitor.

Thanks again for all of your help. :)

-M.