[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help (More data)

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Wed Aug 11 16:56:13 EDT 2004

Robert Gault wrote....

Try one more test please. DSKINI a disk under Disk Basic; both sides 40T
if possible or just 35 track. Boot NitrOS-9, and depending on what you
could do in Disk Basic run:
format /d1 r '35' L  or  format /d1 e '40' L
It doesn't matter what case you use for the L which will do a logical
only not low level format.

There is essentially no difference in the disk driver (rb1773) nor
format regards 6809 vs 6309 code. The above test should definitively
indicate the driver or format as the software part of the problem.

I still think there is marginal hardware in your system. If not the
case, the presence of an MPI would not have any effect on formatting disks.

Nick replies...

I'll give it a try but I must explain that I have been using both
unformatted (magnetically erased disks with an electric erasor) AND
reformatting formatted disks (formatted under 6809 NitrOS-9) and the results
are consistent...

Almost 100% failure under 6309 NitOS-9 using either unformatted or
pre-formatted disks but 100% success using the 6809 NitrOS-9.

Nick