[Coco] Basic-09

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 12:16:18 EDT 2004

--- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Robert Emery wrote:
> > real commands? not like display followed by 47 psuedo random numbers...?
> >
> Are you sure you are not complaining about the RSDOS DRAW command? :)

LOL, Oh puh-lease! DRAW/HDRAW is fast, totally human readable (without a
reference book handy) and not a bad way to "compress" graphics. Nothing
difficult at all about remembering that R moves right, D moves down, etc... and
how hard is it to convert decimal coordinates to... decimal. Even Forest Gump
could do that. ;-) It's Basic's CIRCLE command that totally underwhelms me. I
even drew the pie-chart in Color FOG with an HDRAW string... much prettier.

B-09 is probably what I'll tackle first. I have books on it. The display
command is, IMHO, less understandable than assembler. Not that it's actually
intended to be used as a graphics drawing tool, I realize that. Just pointing
out the confusing nature of OS-9.

I guess the way I look at it is sort of like the business world's ROI, Return
On Investment. If I can invest a few minutes with X to get desired results but
it takes 3 times longer with Y to do the same thing... I'm gonna use X (of
course it's not that simple... trade-offs)

cheers,
Bob Emery