[Coco] OT digital dash photos

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 13:32:55 EDT 2004

> The Radio Electronics circuits were 2 or 3 digit LED displays. They had a
> LOT of different modules, inc. outside air and oil temp amongst others. They
> were based around the old RCA 2 chip DVM circuit which was 2 1/2 digits.
>
> But if I was doing this I'd use a PIC chip and multiplex the displays. This
> would be cheap and effective and there are plenty of app notes to follow.

I'm curious... can you give an idea about how much? (including the PIC
programmer)

Anyway, I took some quick pics of my digital dash which never made it into it's
home.
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/digitaldash.html

I've thought about completing it and finding a Super Beetle owner to sell it
to. I think I invested maybe $50 in parts (a lot of which was the LED's). The
speedo digits were out of a digital clock because I could not find any 1" tall
green LED's. It was red (and free), so I removed the LED board and glued my own
green ones in place. Today I would use hi-brightness blue ones.

The hi-low beam indicatot (bottom center, between the Alt and Oil LEDs)
consisted of two 7-segment displays working as follows:
 |    |
 |    |  running lights
     _
 |  | |
 |_ |_|  low beams

 |_|  |
 | |  |  high beams

And yes, in one shot you can barely see that I labeled the Alt and Oil LEDs
with rub-on letters.

The turn signals were three LEDs each. One triangular and two rectaangular
bi-color LEDs -->, driven by a Johnson counter that would flash the sequence
(assume a right turn):
red, red, red(arrow), green, green, off, red, red, red, green, green, off...

Well, I thought it was cool anyway.

cheers,
Bob Emery