[Coco] Speed up and slow down POKE

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 22:12:39 EDT 2004

kevdig at hypersurf.com writes:

> ffd6  screwy hybrid address dependent mode to normal
>  ffd7 normal to screwy hybrid address dependent mode

Not screwy, just "Half-Fast" is what we called it :-)
It runs double speed in ROM, normal speed in RAM, and is pretty effective in
BASIC.
I built a static RAM Pak that mapped into unused ROM space, so programs and
data loaded into it ran at full double speed under this mode, since the
hardware thought it was ROM.

>  ffd8 double to normal
>  ffd9 normal to double

You bring up a good point.  ISTR that it is indeed necessary, when going from
slow to full warp speed, to first hit FFd& and then FFD9.  Likewise, when
dropping back to normal, must first hit FFD8, then FFD6.  No intermediate delay
needed, just hit em as close together as you like.

>                   kevin
>  P.S.:    Note that I don't think the hybrid modes are supported (or needed)
>   on a tre.

Not needed, for sure.  But ISTR they still work the same, so programs will be
compatible in terms of speed (i.e., game play).  --Mike K.