[Coco] Looking for MM/1

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 17:38:08 EDT 2003

In a message dated 10/25/03 4:14:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
writes:

> It sounds like an MM/1 might be an interesting emulation project.

If you have a fast enough PC, should be easy to do it in real time or better.
Start with a Moto 68012 emulation, or whatever the equivalent of the Philips
68070 is (ISTR it's shy of a 68020, whose stack conventions are different
enough to break 68000 code).

Then emulate the Philips VSC graphics chip, and the peripherals.  Unlike the
Coco, there are NO proprietary, undocumented chips in the MM/1.  Everything
was off the shelf (mostly CDi intended), and thoroughly documented.  Somewhere I
may still have my Phillips manuals.

Then Hex-dump the OS9 device descriptors to figure out the I/O map.  Or scare
up designer Kevin Pease in Tennessee and see if he still has it scrawled down
somewhere.  --Mike K.