[Coco] Possible OS-9 Project

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Fri Oct 17 19:14:00 EDT 2003

John E. Malmberg wrote:
> David Hazelton wrote:
>
>> John E. Malmberg wrote:
>>
>>> So it would be better to provide a library that could interface to
>>> both X-11/Motif and Microsoft Windows than to try to get to the
>>> hardware.  I am not sure what Macintosh needs now that their OS is
>>> UNIX based.
>>>

>> I believe that the floppy driver for Mac X is just a BSD driver, taken
>> from MKLINUX. Apple no longer supports internal floppies, since
>> anything that Apple supports under X doesn't have internal floppy
>> controllers, just USB floppies.  And of course that driver is not
>> supported, it just works.  (But I could be wrong, since I don't have X)
>

> X-11/Motif is a standard Graphical User Interface application interface.
>
> X-11 is Open Source and available for almost all UNIX operating systems,
> OpenVMS and others.
>
> Motif is a commercial library that is available from the comercial OS
> providers.
>
> The only major operating systems that I am aware of that do not support
> X-11/Motif are Microsoft Windows, and possibly Apple Macintosh, but now
> that the Macintosh OS is UNIX based, they probably support X-11 also.
>
> A Gnu functional clone appears to be available for LINUX.
>
> Access to a real floppy disk is a different issue.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

Not to confuse X-11 and Mac-0S X , The Floppy Issue was Dealing with the
hardware and Mac-OS X and that it uses BSD type drivers.  On The X-11
issue, Openoffice.org for the Macintosh (which is the Free version of
Star office, a Office suite) sits ontop of X-11.  Since I do not have
Mac-OS X, I do not know if X-11 for the Macintosh comes with the OS or
if it is from a third-party source like SourceForce.  Goto www.
Openoffice.org for information on how to get X for the Macintosh.

~David Hazelton