[Coco] emulator questions

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 08:56:00 EST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 03:58 pm, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 01:50 PM 11/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >You are aware, right, that BASIC has such a conversion function
> > built in?  To convert a program, just load it in and resave it
> > using SAVE"progname",A and it will be saved in ASCII.
>
> Also, loading an ASCII BASIC program retokenizes it in memory, at the
> expense of time.  A large ASCII BASIC program can take a very long
> time to load.  The occasional hybrid BASIC/ML program can only be
> saved back in tokenized format to retain everthing, and some of those
> can't even be resaved.

Actually, many hybrid programs _can_ be resaved _if_ they are simply
loaded and then saved without being run.  The only such package I own
is Klendathu, which uses Leo Christopherson's ML in DATA statements
trick which he pioneered during the TRS-80 Mod One days with classics
like Android Nim and Dancing Demon.  If such programs are run, the
program modifies itself and a save becomes impossible, but the original
version off the original tape or disk can be saved in ASCII or even
LLISTed without problem.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

... but it wasn't easy, because doubt is less easily dispelled than
illusion, and with doubt come tentative half-measures -- and nothing
worthwhile has ever been accomplished by tentative half-measures.
		Vlad Taltos, _Issola_, (by Steven Brust, P.J.F.)