[Coco] Re: emulator questions

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Mon Nov 24 14:42:21 EST 2003

LM writes:

> Was wondering,
> how do you get the games from a 5 and 1/4 or a hard drive into the
> MESS emulator so you can play them?

For a 5 1/4" disk, you can use the RETRIEVE.EXE utility that comes with
Jeff's emulator.  This is also assuming that your PC has a 5 1/4" drive and
that you are running DOS/Win9x/WinME, and not WinNT/2000/XP (gee thank you
Bill Gates).

> Most of my games are in Basic, but I
> think the majority of them are saved in binary instead of ASCII mode.
> Would also love to figure out how to convert the files from binary to
> ASCII so I can view them properly in a text editor on the PC.  If I
> remember correctly, there used to be a SAVE "filename.bas",A mode to
> save to ASCII, but that was with my 5 and 1/4 drive interface.  Any hints
> on how to do any of this would be greatly appreciated.

MESS comes with a command line utility 'imgtool.exe' that allows you to get
and put files off of disk images.  You will want to make sure that your
BASIC programs are stored to the disk images in ASCII mode.