[Coco] ftp.maltedmedia

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Tue Nov 18 06:38:01 EST 2003

At 11:20 PM 11/17/03 -0600, Roger Taylor wrote:
>By the way, how does your server deal with cases where two people might be
>uploading a file with the same exact name at the same time to the incoming
>directory?

In that unlikely situation, the second upload is not allowed. The first
name rules. In fact, you can't even overwrite the files with the same
files, nor read them after they're uploaded. Only the file's information
appears in the listing.

There is such a huge problem with porn probes (I get several daily on every
ftp directory) as well as file-sharing probes (fewer) that permissions on
the incoming directory are very strict. You'd be amazed how many bots out
there are searching for a home. My own cable ISP had a whole porn site
buried four directories down; since I helped build the system and my
stepson did the software, we were pretty perpexed at how they had managed
to do it -- finally found that although the directories were protected,
they could still MKDIR and write & read to those. Little configuration
errors lead to big security issues.

Dennis