[Coco] Re: ftp.maltedmedia

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Mon Nov 17 09:30:00 EST 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz writes:

> Because it would look exactly the same (no links, because I'm not about to
> create links for hundreds of files) as FTP? ;)

Not necessary; most web servers servers have had an option to provide file
indexes since the NCSA httpd days.

> When did FTP get passé? Most download sites are FTP (even if they have a
> web page with the link on it), and most major software players have public
> FTP sites for patches, documents, etc.

I didn't say that FTP is passe; I was just saying that it is becoming passe.
Perhaps most download sites are FTP now, but don't expect that to be the
case in a few years.  Many companies are now phasing out FTP sites in favor
of using HTTP more and more for a number of reasons, including
maintainability (why maintain two sites when you can just use one site),
security (there is no "ftps") and and ease of use.  HTTP is more proxy
friendly, for example.  Don't get me wrong, I still agree that FTP will be
around for a long time.