[Coco] MM1 programmes

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 14:02:05 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/16/03 1:06:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bdevries at gil.com.au writes:

> This produced "FEFEFEFEFE......." while the synth was idle, and "C001" for a
>  program change; "C002", "C003" etc
>  And "904C5F4C00" if I pressed a note. This on a Kawai FS680.

Very good!  These are absolutely correct, what you should receive.  Looks
like you dinked the E over an octave above Middle C.  Note that your synth uses
Running Status (kid brother of Running Bear and Sitting Bull?) and also uses a
NOTE ON with velocity=0 for NOTE OFF.  All very legit and au courant.

>  However, after a short time, it seemed to lock up. No more input.

No idea why the simple loop should have locked up, other than (1) it's
BASIC09 , and (2) it's OS9.  You might try a fix that I need in UmuseK, namely, to
*output* a byte on the channel for each byte received.  Open /MIDI for "Update"
or whatever B09 calls read+write, and send the received byte back out.  That
may keep things flowing.

In UmuseK I found I had to output a null byte to StdOut every time I read the
mouse, or the system would lock up.  None of the great OSK gurus could figure
out why that should be, so I just left the code in my mouse function to
output the dummy byte.  "Don't understand it, just fix it."  --Mike K.