[Coco] MM1 programmes

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 20:22:21 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/13/03 3:02:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
adit at 1stconnect.com writes:

> >2. Where can I get the driver/descriptor for the MIDI port?
>  I would think that it should be in the same directory with the other
>  descriptors, but since I never used MIDI (BTW weren't those a different
>  board than the standard serial board? Dang, I think I have the CRAFT
>  disease as well.

I'm on eof the few who actually put up $50 for the MIDI port, and ISTR you
got the descriptor and driver for it then, and not before.  You are right, the
MIDI "paddle" board-let is different from the RS232 serial interface.  The MM/1
mother board talks in standard 5V TTL to the paddle board, which converts in
and out of MIDI current loop.

ISTR I bought it from David Graham, not Paul Ward.  Whoever it was, frankly
admitted to me that the $50 for this little board with 6 parts on it was to
help finance other MM/1 developments.

For me personally, no price was too high for MIDI on the MM/1, but it irked
me that its connector was not the MIDI DIN smiley-face, but the same old DB-9
as used on the RS232.  You had to make your own adapter cable.  And I never did
get around to wiring an *input* side of it.  A shame, since the MM/1 could
probably have read MIDI and time-stamped it in real time, unlike the Coco under
OS9.
--Mike K.