[Coco] Re: Drive speed incompatibilities

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 13 11:38:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 07:51, fsteeman at dds.nl wrote:
>OK, thanks for that program RPM.BAS ! It was just what I was looking
> for and it works perfectly! OK, I have now determined that my new
> drive 0 is slightly off in speed from my old drive. In fact, my old
> drive 0 turns at almost 303 rpm whereas my new drive 0 has a speed
> of about 299. It is not much and just in between the 1.5% margin,
> but it would certainly explain why my new drive cannot read my old
> floppies.
>
>The question now is: OK now I know that the drive speeds are
> different, what do I do next? Is it at all possible to adjust the
> drive speeds?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Fedor

Sometimes bit its often very drive specific.  Follow the wires from
the spindle motor to the board andsee if the is an adjustment in the
area of that circuitry.

Now, the fast drive.  That can be a problem because it would use up
the normally unused sync data between the end of the last sector of
the track, and the index pulse which marks the beginning of the
track.  If this shorrt area gets toos hort, the last sector can
actually overwrite the beginning of the first sector.  At that point
of course, even the formatting is trashed and I think it will tell
you so during the verify phase.

Slow drives on the other hand, normally go undetected by any means
until you hit a newer drive and the data recovery pll cannot follow
the increase in the data rate the new drive sees.  I've never
actually seen that happen though, and I'd suspect that far more of
your interchange troubles are created by slightly out of tolerance
track zero locations.  That and the possibility the old drive is a
40tpi, and the newer drive has 80tpi width heads.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M